COVID-19 Return to School Plan
We have outlined St. Brendan School’s reopening strategies as of September 25, 2020. Our number one priority is the health and safety of all St. Brendan students and staff, while providing the best possible educational experience for all.
The following plans are only possible due to the tireless hard work of our dedicated and committed faculty and staff. They are dedicating an enormous amount of time to create an excellent learning program for our students.
- The safety of our students
- The safety of our teachers and staff
- The mental health of both students and adults
- A manageable but yet still challenging workload (for students and teachers)
- The ability to transition easily between in-person learning and distance learning
It is important that all families read the full reopening plan below. Some or all of this information may change on short notice based on evolving mandates.
The Hybrid Model
On campus Monday through Thursday in two cohorts (about 14 students in a cohort) full day 8:00-2:45. On Friday, students will work from home with Zoom classes.
First through Eighth:
Will move to a Hybrid Model. The classes will be in two separate cohorts. They will attend class either on Monday and Wednesday or on Tuesday and Thursday. These days will alternate each week to equalize the amount of face-to-face time, especially with specialized classes (Science, PE, Art, Spanish, Music, and SEL) that are not taught every day. On Friday, students will work from home with Zoom classes, independent work, and access to teacher “Office Hours”.
Students can chose to remain in the Distance Learning Model:
These students will be able to Zoom from home every day. We will “Zoom” the lesson as they are presented live from the classrooms.
Timeline for beginning the Hybrid Plan is:
Kindergarten, 1st and 2nd- November 2nd
Grades 3rd, 4th, 5th - November 16th
Grades 6th, 7th, 8th - November 30th
The San Francisco Department of Public Health requires these two-week staggered starts.
Families will be in the same cohort schedule. The cohort assignments will be announced during the week prior to the grade level start date.
In Distance Learning, we will:
- follow the regular school day schedule adhering to the regular school day hours
- take attendance for every class and/or subject
- use the same teaching strategies as used in the regular classroom (a combination of introducing material, working independently, etc.)
- be using Zoom and Google Classroom
- hold instruction from the school building
- provide each student with an assigned set of textbooks and a Chromebook (iPads for Kindergarten)
Thank you for entrusting us to educate your sons and daughters. We sincerely appreciate your patience and support as we plan for this non-traditional academic year. We hope that you will continue this journey with us but we understand if you prefer not to join us this year.
We will continue to keep you informed as circumstances dictate.