Summer vacation is important. It provides children with the time to rest, have fun, and experience enriching activities. However, in order to prevent what is known as “summer slide,” it is equally important that students continue to read and practice their math skills on a regular basis over the vacation period. Encourage your children to read and practice their math skills, and if that fails MAKE them do it. (Yes, you can be the bad guy sometimes! They will still love you!)
Books may be withdrawn from the public library. Students can still access their RAZ Kids, Mathletic and Xtra Math accounts. These on-line sites provide your children with opportunities to practice and extend their learning. I also encourage your child to explore IXL math (ixlmath.com) and Khan academy (ww’khanacademy. org)
These two sites, among many others, give your children a plethora of activities that help your child consolidate prior skills and be introduced to new skills that they may learn in the upcoming academic year.
Summer fun should not be separate from summer learning.
I am very aware of the sacrifices that you as parents make to send your child here to St. Brendan Parish School. You give of your time, your money and your talent. Words cannot express how grateful I am for the privilege you grant me to educate your children. However, I believe that you made the best decision ever and were right to do what you did, for the following reasons:
• We offer an education that combines Catholic faith and teachings with academic excellence
• We partner with you in the faith formation of your child
• We set high standards for your child’s achievement and help them succeed
• We provide a balanced academic curriculum athat integrates faith, culture and life.
• We use technology effectively to enhance education
• We instill in your children the value of service to others
• We teach your child respect of self and others
• We emphasize moral development and self-discipline
• We prepare your child to be productive citizens and future leaders
• We cultivate a faculty and staff of people, who are dedicated, caring and effective
• We provide a safe and welcoming environment for all
• We provide you with a community of people who help you raise your child